Chia seeds are an AMAZING superfood for low carb dieters… (2 tablespoons have just 1 effective carb!)
Once a staple food of the Aztecs, you could actually live off chia almost entirely – which is why I buy it in bulk (3lb bags) because they can be stored for years, making them GREAT for an emergency food supply – but that’s another story…
What makes chia seeds great for low carb diets, is that, as you know, protein doesn’t have fiber – so you know what that means… constipation!
Chia seeds help you be regular plus it helps you eliminate (literrally) fat and toxins much faster! Did you know that people who don’t eat enough fiber (most of us) don’t eliminate the waste – and reabsorb it into the body! Yuk!
But what makes it a superfood? Here are the amazing facts:
- Chia seeds are 20% protein! with 19 amino acids, including ALL of the essential amino acids except taurine!
- Chia seeds are gluten free!
- They are high in dietary fiber!
- They are 20% Omega 3! (more than salmon!)
- They are high in antioxidants (four times higher ORAC value than blueberries!)
- Contain five times more calcium than milk!
- Contain seven times more vitamin C than oranges!
- Contain three times more iron than spinach!
- Contain twice the potassium content of bananas!
- Helps balance blood glucose levels.
- Absorbs 9 times their weight in water (keeping you hydrated longer!)
- They form a tapioca-like gel that can be used to make soups, deserts, smoothies or any sauce thicker!
- Best of all: they’re flavorless! So you can add them to ANYTHING!
- Unlike flax seeds, they don’t need to be ground – so they’re very easy to use!